It can be pretty discouraging when you work hard on growing your Instagram following, only to see it start to decline. What could be causing this? And more importantly, how can you fix it? If you are searching for the answers to these questions, then you’re at the right place. In this blog post, we will discuss 6 most common reasons why people lose followers on Instagram and provide some tips on how to reverse the trend. So, let’s begin.
6 Reasons Why You Might Be Losing Your Instagram Followers
If you’ve noticed a sudden drop in your Instagram followers, you’re not alone. Many users have been reporting similar losses over the past few months. While it’s impossible to know for sure why this is happening, there are a few possible explanations:
1. You’re posting too much or too less
If you are overwhelming your followers with constant updates, they may start to unfollow you. On the other hand, if you go too long without posting, your followers may lose interest and unfollow you. To keep them engaged, maintain a balance in posting. For many people, ‘a post a day’ strategy works great.
2. Your content is boring
If your posts are all the same, or they’re just not interesting, your followers will quickly get bored and move on. To keep them engaged, mix up your content and post some share-worthy things. You can go with some behind-the-scenes photos, inspiring quotes, or fun facts about yourself to keep people interested. Sometimes polls, questionnaires, and giveaways also work wonders and save you from losing your followers.
3. You’re using too many or too few hashtags
Hashtags help people discover your content, so if you’re not using them, you’re missing out on potential new followers. To maximize your reach, use relevant hashtags in every post but make sure you don’t overdo this. There is no doubt that hashtag and location tags are helpful in getting your content seen by more people, but too many tags can look spammy and turn people off from following you.
4. You’re not engaging with other users
If you’re not commenting, liking, and following other users, they probably won’t bother interacting with you, either. Be social and take the time to connect with other users on Instagram if you want to grow your following. Keep in mind that if people feel like they are being ignored, they are less likely to stick around.
The same thing goes for your followers. Reach out to some of your most active followers and engage with their content. Like and comment on their posts, and let them know you appreciate their support. Active engagement is a great way to keep people interested in your account.
5. You’re using too many filters
Filters can be fun, but if you use them all the time, your photos will start to look repetitive and boring. Use them sparingly so that people don’t get sick of seeing the same thing over and over again. Sometimes, your profile picture or bio may be unappealing to potential followers because of how unrealistic they look. So, recheck your profile picture and keep it as original as it can be.
6. You’re being spammy
If you’re constantly promoting your products or services or posting irrelevant comments on other people’s photos, people will quickly get annoyed and unfollow you. Be strategic about self-promotion and focus on providing value if you want to avoid turning people off.
So, if you think you might be losing followers for any of these reasons, try making some adjustments to your account and see if that helps.
7 Things You Should Do If You Start Losing Your Instagram Followers
It can be disheartening to see your hard-earned Instagram following suddenly drop off. However, there are a few things you can do to try to win back your lost followers:
- First, check to see if there have been any recent changes to your account settings. If you’ve accidentally made your account private or turned off commenting, that could explain the decrease in followers.
- Second, take a look at your recent posts and see if there’s anything that could be turning people off. If you’ve posted something offensive or insensitive, that could be why you’re losing followers.
- Third, check to see if you’re being followed by any spam accounts. These accounts often follow a lot of people and then unfollow them after a short period of time, and they can really drag down your follower count.
- Fourth, see if any of your friends or family have stopped following you. This can happen for a variety of reasons, maybe they’re not interested in your content anymore, or maybe they just don’t use Instagram as much as they used to.
- Fifth, reach out to your remaining followers and see if they have any suggestions for how you can improve your account. Try to start conversations, ask questions, and generally be more responsive to comments.
- Sixth, take a look at your recent content and make sure it is still in line with your brand identity. If you’ve veered off course, try to get back to posting the types of content that first attracted your followers.
- Seventh, see if there are any negative comments on your recent posts. If people are leaving mean or rude comments, that could be driving away other potential followers. Respond politely to any negative comments and delete any that are inappropriate. You can also mute such people on Instagram who comment inappropriately on your posts.
Losing Instagram followers can be frustrating, but it doesn’t have to be permanent. By understanding the reasons why you might lose followers and following the tips we’ve outlined above, you can reverse course and start growing your account again.
So if you’re wondering how to get more followers on Instagram, the answer is simple: give them what they want and make it easy for them to find you. With a little effort, you’ll be back on track to becoming an Instagram influencer in no time.